BABY BOOM

Most often refers to the post–World War II baby boom (1946–1964). An estimated 79 million Americans were born during this demographic boom in births.

____________________


The day before I was born, my mother was 40 weeks pregnant and visiting her obstetrician when her water broke. She was 1 month passed her 20th birthday. Dr. Warenski admitted her immediately to Holy Cross Hospital. Once settled into Labor and Delivery, mother phoned the Engineering Department at the University of Utah as her husband of 9 months and 1.5 weeks (these precise calculations were important in 1951) was taking the final comprehensive exams required for his BS degree in mechanical engineering. The secretary relayed the message to the testing room. The proctoring professor called out my father’s name, ordering him to bring his test to the front of the room. The professor took my father’s exam paper and wrote across it in red, “Failed to finish due to an act of God.” He then delivered my mother’s message and sent my father off to the hospital. I was born the next morning at 6 AM making me a Gemini, Gemini rising, which is important in explaining many things but not pertinent to this story. I became one of 3,750,850 children born that year. I am a baby boomer.